Here’s a great reason to avoid those fatty, empty-calorie meals and go for solid foods packed with antioxidants, many of which can be found at your local produce market.
Top Eight Cancer-Fighting Foods
- Dark, Leafy Greens- this includes collards, spinach, kale, and any greens that contain lutein and beta-carotene (vitamin A)
- Green Tea- the polyphenols in green tea are powerful antioxidants that help prevent breast, prostate, colon, stomach, and skin cancer
- Tomatoes- tomatoes, or the products of, including canned tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, tomato soup, and ketchup, all contain lycopene, which is an antioxidant that protects against prostate, breast, lung, and stomach cancer
- Cruciferous vegetables- cruciferous veggies are from the cabbage family and include: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, and mustard greens. The antioxidants in these help to reduce the risk of several cancers
- Red wine- red wine contains antioxidants (called reservatrol) that help to prevent prostate, skin, and breast cancer. One 5-oz glass for women and two glasses for men is recommended
- Nuts- cashews, almonds, walnuts, chestnuts, and pistachios all contain vitamin E, which is an antioxidant protecting against cancer
- Garlic- There are several components in garlic that are thought to help prevent stomach, colon, esophageal, pancreas, skin, lung, and breast cancer. The components are formed when the garlic is chopped, crushed, or minced
- Citrus- oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit all contain vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps prevent against cancer-causing cell damage. Not a fan of these fruits? Tomatoes, potatoes, and bell peppers also contain vitamin C.